Monday, April 6, 2009

TRAINING AND DIET ON THE GO

I was just on the road for four days.

The first hotel I stayed at - I arrived at 9.30 pm and after a long drive looked forward to a hard work out in the gym. Not. The gym was under renovations. It was too dark and an unfamiliar neighbourhood to go for a run. I could have figured out something but preferred to wait until I could do my full workout the next day. We went out for the most delicious Thai meal instead. I just concentrated on dishes with lots of veggies and protein and no rice or noodles.

The next few days were great - I had the Vancouver sea wall to walk/run as well as a great gym at the next hotel by the time I was due to do my weight training.

The gym was packed and all the participants very lean - a number of Gwyneth Paltrow type physiques from way too much cardio and no toning along with a few awesome female physiques - lean and toned with great muscle definition - that inspired me.

And what a great venue - on the treadmill watching all the activity of hundreds of people walking, jogging, cycling, roller blading outside along the ocean. I briefly found it hard to believe there was an obesity problem in Canada.

The biggest problem was diet. Generally I pack a cooler but the trip was too long for that and I was short on time.

Oh boy. Upscale restaurants just do not want to do plain unadorned food and a lean plate. One morning at breakfast the closest thing I could find to healthy without a ton of carbs and fat was an egg white veggie omelete with low fat goat cheese. Hold the tropical fruit, hold the potatoes and hold the toast. They want to load you up with starches. I rarely eat starches so I am sure that diet habit is one of the secrets of my successful weight loss. It basically is a filler. Think about that. Do your body and GI system a favour and fill up with fruits complex carbs and fibrous carbs - veggies

The waiter just could not leave it alone. He wanted to bring me stuff. He felt the plate was bare - I should have had him bring a smaller plate ;) Finally I let him add some broiled tomatoes 'pesto.' I didn't have the heart to tell him I eat about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours and eat six smaller meals and I don't need a huge 3 meal a day diet.

Everyone else had the buffet a total waste of money for me. If you have a buffet it is because you intend to get your money's worth - not a great idea for your body. It will simply store your 'money's worth' as fat.

I tell my husband "don't worry about me" I can usually adapt something off the menu but dinner on Friday night was a real challenge. At the chosen restaurant there was nothing unadorned - everything was dripping in rich sauces. I could not even find a simple salad.

Finally for an appe I had the iceberg lettuce wedge NOTHING ON IT. The waiter looked at me increduously his eyes saying "you have to be kidding" People especially staff at restaurants don't seem to believe I actually prefer to eat plain and simply. I love the way I feel. Anytime I eat rich foods I feel awful after and I don't enjoy feeling that way.

Anyhow, I had the plain lettuce brought. He was very relieved when I agreed to accept olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I did not say I would not put anything on it. I just wanted to make the choice.

Ooohkay so next came the entre. I wanted Ahi tuna rare nothing else - no rice - no potatoes. They had to throw something on the plate so I asked for seasonal veggies and a few tomato slices. It was great. I eat carbs but I am very carb sensitive and I eat mostly fibrous carbs and eat complex carbs earlier in the day or I would be asleep in my plate. We were also going to be attending a formal dinner where I would have no control over what was being served and I would have to eat clean until then so that I would not end up ill.

After my meal instead of having to undo my pants and feel drowsy and sick and have stomach cramps and bloating, I felt great.

My dessert was coffee. My friend and I asked for a side of milk instead of cream. Hey maybe I am demanding but isn't it interesting that I like things very plain but I am the demanding one? Huh?

So at the formal I did have all the things that usually make me sleepy, bloated and ill no choice - if I didn't I would have been starving. It just isn't cool to pack a cooler to a formal military dinner.

I felt dreadful within hours and the next day. I guess I will have to eat ahead of time next time and forego the pre-picked meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment