Sunday, January 24, 2010

WEIGHT LOSS TIP # 5 PUT YOURSELF FIRST

If I pursue figure competition, I believe that is fairly self indulgent - it takes a lot of time, and money. Similarly those who are driven to complete triathalons and marathons need to have a great deal of family support because although it is an amazing feat, the time commitment for training is enormous leaving the rest of the family to fend for themselves.

What you are doing - getting healthy and fit IS NOT SELF INDULGENT.

You are likely used to putting yourself last, putting your house, car, children, job, spouse and pets first.

I am not telling you to abandon them.

Whether you are a missionary or a stock broker, you have to put your fitness and health first - here is why.

If you neglect your belongings, they lose their value. If you are obese, sickly, out of shape, unhealthy etc. eventually you will be no good to anyone else and might be a burden to them. Eventually when you can no longer look after them all - they will either learn self sufficiency or find another person to wait on them.

First as I mentioned in the "time" blog - you need to review how you spend your time. What can be eliminated - what can be changed or combined to make things more efficient? What can you delegate?

If you can afford it hire a maid service or housekeeping service either once every two weeks or once a month. I can't afford it so I use it as part of my 'cardio' activation plan to counteract my very sedentary job. I do ask my husband who is also quite time challenged to help in anyway he can. After all it is his house and his burden too. I don't feel guilty about my expectation.

Over time, consider downsizing your belongings using the 3yr, 2 yr, 1 yr plan. Even if you use only 15 minutes of precious time per week to start the process. If you have not used something for many months - put in in the one year pile - still not used in one year - get rid of it. For items that are typically used less frequently or are expensive move to the two yr or three year pile etc - once at the 3 yr limit - sorry but - time to have a garage sale or put it in the paper. Extra stuff causes extra work (but this is a long term plan not a short term one).

Incorporate your kids into the shopping and meal prep - you will get to spend time with them and they will learn good nutrition and self sufficiency.

Learn to say 'NO' to doing things you really don't enjoy. Politely of course. I don't golf but my husband would invite me to walk around the course (to be polite and include me). I decided I would rather watch paint dry. There are so many things I can do in 4 hours that I enjoy and it was not really quality time watching people swear at a little ball. And it was not good exericse for me.

So now I meet the group afterwards for the social part and use the 4 hours for me. Same with watching his non competitive ball games - not interesting or exciting and not a good use of my time. Again I meet with the group afterwards and I find listening to the play by play conversation, I don't really miss anything ;)

If you really think about it, you will find lots of time wasters and the time can be better spent on your health and your great new body.

And the interesting thing is, the trade off is that you are going to have so much more energy as the weeks pass that you will be able to accomplish much more anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment