Wednesday, January 6, 2010

LOOK GOOD NAKED EH? AIRPORT SECURITY IN CANADA

Well.....another reason to lose fat and get fit in 2010.

President Obama wants all travellers entering the US to have 2ndary security checks. In Canada they were only used if there was a question at security level one - e.g the wand alarms and removing clothing does not address it or other suspicions.

If travelling to the US, Canadians can choose pat down/frisk or body scan.

Body scan: apparently the radiation from the scan is 1/10,000 of that in a cell phone so I figure that it is fairly safe. I am just glad that I graduated from obese with baggy clothes to fit as the scanner shows the outline of the rolls of fat etc. As a privacy protection apparently the person reviewing the scanning film does not see you and it is promised the scans will be deleted immediately as soon as they are examined and found to be benign.

Frisk/pat down. Boy for the first time ever this happened to me in the US travelling from Seattle to Vegas. The screw in my right shoulder kept setting off the alarm even tho it had not in any other airport after numerous trips. I showed them the scar but was pulled aside and in front of the entire world (at least those at the airport) I was physically searched albeit by a female officer. Even tho she was polite and professional, I felt thoroughly violated.

I will be choosing body scan.

I think it is a waste of time as 99.9% of the travellers are like you and me. The ones that mean harm will be hiding the items in their body cavities as the scanner or external searches will not detect cavity items or terrorists will find new ways of creating havoc.

It is interesting that in the case of 911 as well as the most recent episode - there was blatant info and intelligence and it still happened. What has been gained by this reponse? The terrorists have frightened our leaders into a knee jerk reaction and gotten the attention and fear they want. Although from watching President Obama's video on the subject he has more far reaching plans for homeland security than that and I am not sure what Canada has planned to address security - pitifull that watching Canadian news all I have seen so far is the superficial stuff like scans and searches. Of course our Canadian security may keep the more detailed info to themselves and - secret.


By the way Canada has put scanners in 9 airports at a cost of $250,000 each. I am not sure what the maintenance and upkeep is.

I will agree that carryon policies should be changed. For me carryon is more of annoyance and customer service issue than a risk issue. I have stood on the steps of a plane freezing many times while passengers clog the aisles trying to squeeze their numerous carryons in the overhead bin.

I think that other than a money belt with velcro straps that no carry on should be allowed. However, recently on the news a Canadian couple returning from New York were made to remove their camera (worth $3000) and put in luggage. It was gone when they reached their destination. So the airlines should be providing locked boxes at check in with two keys somewhat like a safety deposit box. The flight crew will have he 2nd key to pass on to the ground crew - I will let them figure out the logistics :)Yep probably more lineups at the airport - guess the lesson is travel light as far as jewelry, cameras and other valuables are concerned. There airlines will also have to figure out something for those travelling with kids.

Several years ago I travelled in Canada for 36 flights. On flight 32 in cleaning out my purse I was alarmed I had been carrying a multi tool with good sized blades and cork screw etc for 32 flights without detection. I quickly removed it and on flight 33 had nail clippers removed from by bag - go figure.

So back to my point.If you want to look good for "virtual nakedness" for Canada's scanners - get fit for 2010! At least then something positive will come out of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment